Skip to main content

Encroachment Permits FAQs


What is the purpose of an Encroachment Permit? 

The CVFPB and RD 1000 need to ensure encroachments do not impact levee integrity; affect the visibility of and access to the levee for monitoring and emergency response during a flood; impede levee safety or operations and maintenance obligations or otherwise compromise the flood safety for the thousands of residents and businesses in the Natomas Basin protected by the levee.  Likewise, the County needs to ensure that your proposed projects or improvements do not create a safety hazard for you, your neighbors, and the traveling public along the Garden Highway. 

Do I need to file an encroachment permit? 

If your property is located along Garden Highway on the waterside, you are required to file a Central Valley Flood Protection Board Permit that has been endorsed by Reclamation District 1000 for any exterior work on the property, including any work that changes the footprint of your home. You do not need to file a permit for interior work in the home that does not affect the land or exterior structure of your home.

The property I just acquired has encroachments that may not have been permitted by CVFPB. Am I still responsible for obtaining all the necessary permits? 

Yes. The property owner is ultimately responsible for obtaining all necessary permits and making sure they are up-to-date to State and federal regulations.

How do I find out if the existing encroachments on my property have a permit through your office? 

Contact our office with the address and/or parcel in question.

Are there any fees for applying for a permit with RD1000? 

No, there are no fees when you apply for a permit at Reclamation District 1000, however, as of 2019 CVFPB does require permit fees in order to process a permit. Please see their fee schedule for more information.

I have determined that I need a permit... what do I do now? 

First you need to complete an Encroachment Permit application form as well as an Environmental Questionnaire. Once the application and questionnaire have been completed, submit them to Reclamation District No. 1000 by email, fax, or in-person drop-off. You will also need to submit basic drawings or plans/blueprints depending on the scope of your project. Once your permit has been endorsed by the General Manager you will be contacted to pick up your endorsed application to submit to the CVFPB located at 3310 El Camino Ave, Rm 151, Sacramento, CA 95821. The General Manager will contact you directly should there be any issues with your permit that need to be addressed before submitting the permit to CVFPB, so please make sure a valid phone number and email are included with your application. Should you have any questions regarding the application and process, please first review RD1000 Special Encroachment Standards and contact our office for clarification. 916-922-1449